Cellist Oliver Coates to launch PRAH Recordings
Oliver’s Towards the blessed islands is the classical musician’s debut album and was recorded in various locations including churches, tombs and disused oil rigs incorporating techniques from field recordist Chris Watson.
The cellist’s music straddles both the classical and contemporary worlds with previous collaborations including work with the likes of Radiohead’s Jonny Greenwood, Massive Attack and DOOM.
He also recorded a version of Boards of Canada track In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country with Mira Calix for Warp’s 20th anniversary box set.
Stephen Bass said his PRAH imprint has been set up ‘to allow a completely free and open release schedule that can encompass anything from contemporary classical and experimental to soundtrack recordings, spoken word and re-issues’.
Oliver’s musical CV also includes numerous collaborations with Micachu including the experimental musician’s latest score for the new film from Sexy Beast director Jonathan Glazer, Under the Skin.
Towards the blessed islands will be released on 25 November. The full track listing is below:
1. The room is the resonator – David Fennessy
2. Cello & Autoharps – Max de Wardener
3. Cello & Whirlies – Max de Wardener
4. Tommib Help Buss – Squarepusher
5. Kottos (live) – Iannis Xenakis
6. Raimondas Rumsas – Laurence Crane
7. The clouds flew round with the clouds – Larry Goves
8. Another Day – Roy Harper / This Mortal Coil