The nominations for the 2017 Jazz FM Awards have been announced, with a special award confirmed for pioneering English RnB and jazz vocalist Georgie Fame.
Fame will receive the PPL Lifetime Achievement Award, while La La Land and Whiplash director Damien Chazelle will to given the Impact Award for the notable impact his work is having on bringing jazz to wider audiences.
Nominated artists this year include PRS Foundation funded singer songwriter Laura Mvula, Stax Records icon William Bell, and neo-soul singer-songwriter Jordan Rakei who are up for International Soul Artist of the Year.
PRS Foundation supported Carleen Anderson and Norma Winstone, alongside Polly Gibbons, appear in the PRS for Music sponsored Vocalist of the Year shortlist.
Elsewhere, groove duo Yussef Kamaal, pianist Ashley Henry and PRS Foundation funded Nubya Garcia will represent the outstanding British talent that has emerged in 2016 and are up for Breakthrough Act of the Year.
The Rolling Stones have been nominated for two awards under the categories of Album of the Year and International Blues Artist of the Year for Blues & Lonesome, with US singer-songwriters Bonnie Raitt and Eric Bibb also in contention for the latter award.
Another duel nominee is drummer and social activist Jaimeo Brown for Jazz Innovation and Digital Initiative of the Year, where he will be up against DJ Gilles Peterson and US trumpeter Dave Douglas.
Once again, Album of the Year, UK Jazz Act of the Year and Live Experience of the Year will be decided by public vote and the nominees for these categories include Shabaka Hutchings, Gregory Porter, Wayne Shorter, Madeleine Peyroux, Soweto Kinch, Anderson .Paak, Kurt Elling, Roberto Fonseca and Julian Arguelles.
Public voting is open now at www.jazzfmawards.com and will close on 31 March.
The ceremony takes place on 25 April, marking the 100th anniversary of Ella Fitzgerald’s birth.
The night will also host several performances from a range of acclaimed artists, including Georgie Fame with a quartet led by Guy Barker, as well as a tribute to Ella Fitzgerald performed by a special guest performer.
The Jazz FM Awards is a partnership between Jazz FM and Serious, and is made possible with the support of Mishcon De Reya, PRS For Music, Rathbones, Pollitt & Partners, Oris Watches, Grange Hotels, RCS, Denbies Wine Estate, Arqiva, Fever Tree, Yamaha, The Piano Bar Soho and PPL.
Full nominee list:
BREAKTHROUGH ACT OF THE YEAR, sponsored by Yamaha
– Ashley Henry
– Nubya Garcia (PRS Foundation funded artist)
– Yussef Kamaal
INTERNATIONAL JAZZ ARTIST OF THE YEAR, sponsored by Oris Watches
– Brad Mehldau
– Donny McCaslin
– Robert Glasper
VOCALIST OF THE YEAR, sponsored by PRS for Music
– Carleen Anderson (PRS Foundation funded artist)
– Norma Winstone (PRS Foundation funded artist)
– Polly Gibbons
INSTRUMENTALIST OF THE YEAR, sponsored by Rathbones
– Nikki Yeoh
– Gwilym Simcock (PRS Foundation funded artist)
– Tim Garland
BLUES ARTIST OF THE YEAR, sponsored by The Piano Bar Soho
– Bonnie Raitt
– Eric Bibb
– The Rolling Stones
SOUL ARTIST OF THE YEAR, sponsored by RCS
– Jordan Rakei
– Laura Mvula (PRS Foundation funded artist)
– William Bell
JAZZ INNOVATION OF THE YEAR, sponsored by Mishcon de Reya
– Darcy James Argue
– Jaimeo Brown
– Moon Hooch
DIGITAL INITIATIVE OF THE YEAR, sponsored by Pollitt & Partners
– Dave Douglas – Greenleaf Music
– Gilles Peterson – Worldwide FM
– Jaimeo Brown – Transcendence: Work Songs
ALBUM OF THE YEAR (PUBLIC VOTE THROUGH MARCH), sponsored by Arqiva
– Anderson .Paak – Malibu
– Donny McCaslin – Beyond Now
– Gregory Porter – Take Me To The Alley
– Kurt Elling – The Beautiful Day
– Madeleine Peyroux – Secular Hymns
– Rolling Stones – Blue & Lonesome
UK JAZZ ACT OF THE YEAR (PUBLIC VOTE THROUGH MARCH), sponsored by Grange Hotels
– Dinosaur (PRS Foundation funded artist)
– Shabaka Hutchings (PRS Foundation funded artist)
– Soweto Kinch (PRS Foundation funded artist)
LIVE EXPERIENCE OF THE YEAR (PUBLIC VOTE THROUGH MARCH)
– Ashley Henry Trio at Jazz Re:Fest, Royal Festival Hall
– Cory Henry & The Funk Apostles at Glee Club Birmingham
– Julian Arguelles with Frankfurt Radio Big Band, Django Bates & Steve Argüelles at Cheltenham Jazz Festival
– Orphy Robinson All Stars – The Bobby Hutcherson Songbook at St James The Great, London
– Roberto Fonseca Trio at Gateshead International Jazz Festival, Sage Gateshead
– Wayne Shorter Quartet at EFG London Jazz Festival, Barbican
PPL LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
– Recipient: Georgie Fame
– Recipient: Damien Chazelle